Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Forest Hills

In my years of attending estate sales I have found that you Must get there early.
Yes Virgina the early bird does get the worm, or the Victorian gold jewelry. I was at a sale in Forest Hills the other week and I arrived promptly  one hour and a half early, only to find a fellow sale attendee had arrived first, her bag was already holding her place in line.  She was in her car, waiting with her dog, cool I thought, a companion while you wait, I’d rather sleep,  with it being 6:30 in the morning. I pulled my jacket around me and dozed off, I awoke about 30 minutes later to find 2 more attendees had arrived and the sale hosts as well.
  It was starting to drizzle, and the lady with the dog was no longer sitting in her car, but jogging up and down the driveway leading up to the house…. …with her dog….In the rain… at 7:00AM, WOW        
                 
Well maybe her dog needed some exercise.. I dunno . Anyways eventually around 7:45 everyone started lining up and it started raining, Hard. I came unprepared and forgot my umbrella, oh well I had a plastic tote for securing my treasures so I just stuck that on my head, a woman with an umbrella laughed at me. The jogger dog lady in front of me was worried someone might steal her umbrella if she left it at the door while she shopped. Really??  Since it looked like it belonged to a 3 year old I seriously doubted it.
When the doors opened she went the opposite way of me which was towards the jewelry of course. I think she must have been after larger items( her bags were quite large) So initially I got to the table first, which is important if you want the good stuff, this is some of the good stuff I found at Forest Hills.



Victorian/ Edwardian ANTIQUE 14K white gold plated perfume vial necklace bottle. I initially thought this was sterling silver, turns out it is white gold plated



Victorian/ Edwardian yellow gold black enamel hinged bangle bracelets. The top one is 10K solid gold. the bottom one is gold filled, It has a maker's mark that is unknown to me. looks like a cubed slice of cake. The top one dates to the 1890's
Sterling Silver Egyptian-Revival  Scarab Pendant double sided. This is one I almost wish I had kept. It is a lovely piece. I'm sure the buyer is pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment