Monday, April 16, 2012

Titanic Jewelry

OK, I will admit to the world that I absolutely love the Titanic movie. I secretly want to go see it in 3-D. I saw it when it came out in 1995 twice in theaters, this was back before the release date for DVD was about 2 months out, actually this was before DVDs were all that available.
I think some of my love for antique jewelry comes from this.I have watched the movie many times although my husband says I have seen it 2000 times, this is not an accurate count!
It may be cheesy, but I think it is a wonderful romantic movie. I do cry every time I watch it. I am not ashamed to admit that. Crying is what makes us human, as is love, and fear and all those emotions people think are cheesy or don't want to talk about. Jewelry is human, it conveys a message, it gives people a peek into your style, your feelings, your soul.This post is about Titanic jewelry so forgive me if I have gotten off topic, but when taking my graduate diamond class, my GIA instructor gave us a fun little sheet at the end that described your personality with the shape of the diamond you chose. I think it is very accurate. See if it is for you.



DIAMOND PERSONALITIES
If you chose a ROUND diamond shape, your personality reveals that you are faithful, traditional, dependable, religious, old-fashioned and honest with your values. You are home and family oriented and security conscious. The down-side is your lack of spontaneity. Your personality is easy to get along with!
If you chose an OVAL diamond shape, you are creative, well-organized, dependable and wiling to take chances. Your strongest desire is to be different and not go with the crowd. You have a wild streak, yet you are predictable, stable and be counted on!
If you selected the SQUARE princess cut, you have an electric personality. You are fun, exciting and definitely not afraid to take chances. You live life to the fullest. You love being the center of attention and absolutely adore the spotlight!
If you are drawn to the EMERALD cut diamond shape, you are a tough nut to crack. You love to impress others. One of your greatest characteristic is that you do not See yourself through the eyes of others. You are a natural born leader with a quiet elegance and regal temperament.
If you chose the MARQUISE shaped diamond, you have a socialite attitude. You are extroverted, innovative and exciting to be around. But, you tend to be concerned with first impressions. You are goal oriented and career minded!
If you are attracted to the HEART shaped diamond, you are a pure romantic. Your motto is love conquers all and it has no restrictions or boundaries. You are constantly searching for love. You are a dramatic dreamer. Your wonderful traits is that you are sentimental, creative, sensitive and can be trusted!
 
My favorite cut is a toss up between the princess cut and the emerald. OK but back to the Titanic Jewelry.
My heart of the ocean necklace was bought back in 2003 for a fraction of what they are going for now, I am happy to say. Just goes to show again how much value costume jewelry can have.
 Actually part of what makes me cry in this movie is when she flings the necklace into the ocean ( Yes, Yes I know what it symbolizes and all that), but Come on NO please don't fling a 56 carat diamond into the ocean
 OK back to the jewelry here is my sterling silver copy of Rose's engagement ring, this is a Jill Bailey piece from her Titanic line, I do believe it is retired, but hopefully it may come out of hiding sometime soon.

Next is my favorite piece The butterfly comb, again from Jill Bailey. Here it is right on my head!


Here is a pair of the "Jump" earrings, again Jill Bailey. Watching this movie and wearing long earrings has made me understand the up swept hair styles of the times. One cannot wear long dangling earrings and have long hair without them getting hopelessly tangled together, enters up swept hair, lol. A fun fact about the earrings, and this comes from watching the movie way to many times; In the scene before she is running out to the back of the ship to "jump" she is having dinner Rose has a matching necklace that goes with the earrings, well when she is running and when she is hanging off the rail... NO necklace!


This is a replica (Jill Bailey) of the hair cage. The one in the movie has rhinestones. If you do a web search you can find several links, and even a YouTube video of how to put it in. Looks stunning.
This is not in the movie, but imagine what I found out at sales this weekend? An early 1900's cigarette stem/ holder! So cool!

1 comment: